Etsy Shop     Pinterest     Goodreads     YouTube     Tumblr      Links

3.16.2014

Covering the Cover Bands: Delirium Tremenz and Exit @ the Circuit

February 22, 2014

Push
Delirium Tremenz
some good widdley going on here

"good looking foliage"
Exit, from Baltimore



   
   Seeing live cover bands is unfrequented territory for me, so please be patient while I compose my thoughts.  I feel like I may have seen that Guns 'N Roses cover band, the one with Blaxle Rose as the frontman, at the old Ottobar maybe a decade or so ago, but at best it's a fuzzy memory.
   
   For reasons partly due to my limited exposure, cover bands seem like a novelty.  Take, for example, Green Sleeves, or Green Jeans, or Mr. Greengenes -- you know who I'm talking about!  They were a ubiquitous force that covered the DelMarVaPa circuit for a looooonnng time.  You could be in Arlington one day and downy Ocean that weekend and guess who'd be playing the same places you're at?  I heard they were gross, but hearing that you know they meant serious party business.  In sum, cover bands in my worldview were either meant to be funny or a catalyst to create an environment of party-hard pussy-pushers.  And if you're not down with the joke, they didn't seem like a good idea.
   
   Fast forward to my HarCo life.  I meet a handsome, young, energetic, Catholic, religion school teacher who leads a double life as a, >gasp<, cover band singer.  Enter my further confusion into the cover band world.   
   
   His band, Under the Covers, is undeniably fun to see.  Over the years they've played more and improved their craft.  Brian Bourne, el frontman, gains confidence, takes voice lessons, polishes his stage presence.  The band gets a logo, a good-looking website.  This isn't a hobby anymore; it's a second job and serious business.  
   
   I assume folks start cover bands because they love the music.  You've got to; you're playing the same songs over and over and they're not yours to begin with -- you'd better love them!  The reward you reap is that a lot of other people also already love those songs, so the payoff is relatively quick and repeatable.  Creating, I suppose, a hobby/second job that is financially sustainable.
   
   Anyway, I'm ranting.  This week we went to see the above bands.  Full disclosure, we're friends with one of the members of Delirium Tremenz.  We want to support our friend and enjoy live music, but I'm spoiled and accustomed to our punk rock lifestyle, which means I'm used to paying under nine dollars for a show to see four or five bands.  So I'm annoyed that it costs $12 at the door to see mostly cover bands.  In Essex.
   
   Annoyance and location aside, the Circuit is actually a decent show space.  It's pretty much just a bar with a pool table, but is very spacious with a larger-than-average stage.  And I ribbed Essex there, but it is conveniently off the highway, just like it's website boasts.  
   
   I quickly see where some of this money is going:  there is a smoke and fog machine (yuck), and an elaborate lighting set-up.  Look at those pictures, man!  A different color filter every few seconds.
   
   I feel like I've talked a lot here and said very little, again, probably due to my cover band confusion.  I enjoyed the show.  I enjoy seeing Under the Covers, too, but this was different.  For both types of bands, I enjoy what music I recognize, so I get the appeal.  It's reliable to listen to cover bands, almost unifying in a way.  The Circuit crowd was supportive and pretty chill, being mostly aging metal dudes and older rock chicks.  Josh got compliments on his facial hair "foliage".  This was way different than Looney's for UTC, where you have to watch out for swinging boners and getting pestered by dudes whose version of hitting on you is by fucking with you.  The Circuit was pleasant because it was a more self-possessed crowd.  A bit more sober, maybe.  And we got to hear Sober, by Tool.  Bonus. 
   
   If these bands love it for the music and love playing so they can bring that love to the people, my hat's off to 'em.  If not, well, they got my twelve dollars.  C'est la vie.
   
   Oh! I forgot to mention Exit played Last Caress by the Misfits!  Highlight of the evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment